Student Visa Subclass 500 explained

Thursday 9 April 2020
Learn about what you need to do when applying for a student visa
Student Visa Subclass 500 explained

Student visa or Subclass 500 allows you to visit Australia to participate in a course of study for up to 5 years in line with your course enrolment.

The Visa Application Cost starts from $A620 unless you have an exemption.

You can check for the most recent fees and charges on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Visa processing times can vary depending on your situation.

You can bring family members to Australia with you as well, but the costs are your responsibility including schooling costs.

You can apply for your visa online in or outside of Australia.

Things to note to be eligible:

  1. You must be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
  2. You must hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you arrive or fall into one of the exemption categories 
  3. You must be 6 years of age or older
  4. And have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18 years
  5. You can travel in and out of Australia with your student visa as long as it doesn’t affect your enrolment
  6. You can work up to 40 hours per fortnight once your course starts
  7. Primary school children enrolled in years 1 to 4 can only be granted a student visa for a maximum of 2 years. To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student visa after this period.
  8. You must check the annual school costs you will need to pay for any dependent children to go to either public or private schools in Australia

If your Student visa will expire before your graduation you might be eligible for a Visitor’s visa, Subclass 600. You will need a letter from your education provider with the date of your graduation before applying.

If you hold or held a student visa and completed specific degree qualifications in Australia in the last six months, you might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485. This is also referred to as a Post Study Work Visa.

If you want to stay longer for other reasons, you must apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

Your Obligations when applying for a Student Visa Subclass 500:

  1. You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws
  2. Your visa is digitally linked to your passport
  3.  You must also be:
    1. Less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9
    2. Less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10
    3. Less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11
    4. Less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12

You must ensure you don't enter Australia before your Student Health Cover, OSHC, begins and

maintain your OSHC until you leave Australia. You may be refused entry to Australia, if you cannot prove you have health insurance in place when you arrive.

Some Exceptions..

You do not need to have OSHC if you are:

  1. A Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  2. A Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  3. A Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement

 How do you get Overseas Student Health Cover?

Our Melbourne team of experts can help you with the best policy for your circumstances. You will need to know the policy number to include in your visa application. Your visa application will be refused if you don't provide this information.

Other things you must properly prepare for:

  1. You must have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia
  2. You must be a genuine temporary entrant
  3. And intend to return home after studying in Australia
  4. You must have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia Booklet
  5. And sign an Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws

For more information on visas or any questions you might have relating to your future study plans please contact us at

Our helpful counsellors will assist you!

Find a Course