Student Visa or Subclass 500

Student visa or Subclass 500:
Allows you to:Visit Australia to participate in a course of study. Stay Up to 5 years and in line with your enrolment.

Visa Application Cost
From AUD620, unless exempt
Check for most recent fees and charges on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Processing times vary.

You can bring family members to Australia with you.
You can apply online in or outside Australia. Things to note:You must be enrolled in a course of study in Australia You must hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)or fall in one of the exemption categories. You must be 6 years or older
and have a welfare arrangement, if you are under 18.

You can travel in and out of Australia.
You can work up to 40
hours every fortnight once your
course starts. Primary school children enrolled in years 1 to 4 can only be granted a student visa for a maximum of 2 years. To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student visa.

If your Student visa will expire before your graduation you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). You will need a letter from your education provider with the date of your graduation.

If you hold or held a student visa and completed specific degree qualifications in Australia in the last six months, you might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

If you want to stay longer for other reasons, you must apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances. You must check the annual school costs you will need to pay for any dependent children to go to either public or private schools in Australia.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and bio-metrics.

Your Obligations: You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws.

Your visa
is digitally linked to your passport. You must also be:

Less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9.
Less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10.
Less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11.
Less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12.

You must:

Ensure you don't enter Australia before your OSHC begins. and
maintain your OSHC until you leave Australia.
You may be refused entry to Australia, if you cannot prove you have health insurance in place when you arrive.

You do not need to have OSHC if you are:

A Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. A Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet.
A Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. How to get Overseas Student Health Cover? Our Melbourne team of
experts can help you with the best policy
for your circumstances. You will need to know the policy number to include in the visa application.

Your visa application will be refused if you don't give this information. You must have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia. You must be a genuine temporary entrant. And intend to return home after studying in Australia.

You must have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia booklet. And
sign an Australian Values Statement that confirms you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
For more information please contact us:

Recent Videos


Want to hear the latest News and Study updates about Australian Education? Subscribe now and we’ll keep you updated on exclusive updates and offers.

Find a Course