Government Agreement visa (subclass 406)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Government Agreement visa (subclass 406)

The Government Agreement visa (subclass 406) is no longer available for new applications as of November 24, 2012. Therefore, it is not possible to apply for this visa.

However, if you are interested in working in Australia under an international relations agreement, you may be eligible to apply for the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403).

Visa Holders

If you have already been granted a Government Agreement visa (subclass 406), it is important to understand your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

To check your visa details and entitlements, you can use the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service free of charge.

What this visa lets you do

The Government Agreement visa (subclass 406) allows you to enter Australia for the following purposes:

  • Under the terms of a bilateral agreement between Australia and another country
  • To direct the operations of specific organizations, including:
    • The British Council
    • The Alliance Française
    • The Goethe-Institut
    • The Italian Cultural Institute

Once in Australia, you are permitted to:

  • Enter the country at any time
  • Engage in the work or activity specified in the relevant government agreement
  • Direct the operations of a listed company, if applicable
  • Bring your family with you to Australia
  • Enter and leave Australia while your visa is valid

Your obligations

As a Government Agreement visa (subclass 406) holder, you and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

During your stay in Australia, you and your family are required to:

  • Maintain adequate health insurance
  • Continue to meet the requirements of your granted visa
  • Fulfill Australian taxation obligations if you work in Australia

While in Australia, it is important to note the following:

  • Do not cease working or stop engaging in the activity specified in your visa application
  • Avoid working in a position or undertaking an activity that is inconsistent with the purpose for which your visa was granted
  • Only work for the employer listed in your application
  • Avoid engaging in self-employment

If any member of your family was included in your visa application, they must:

  • Continue to be part of your immediate family unit
  • Enter Australia at the same time or after you
  • Leave Australia at the same time or before you

Report changes in circumstances

If there are any changes in your circumstances, it is important to inform the relevant authorities. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or any significant family events like pregnancy, birth, or death.

To report changes, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details - for updating your address or passport information
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances - for reporting other changes in your circumstances

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)