Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Visa Information: Medical Treatment Long Stay Visa (subclass 685)

The Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) is no longer available for new applications as of March 23, 2013. However, individuals who were granted this visa before the closure date will still be valid until the expiry date stated in their visa grant.

Visa Holders

If you currently hold a Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) or have applied for the visa before the closure date and are awaiting a decision, the following information pertains to your rights and obligations.

To check your visa details and entitlements, you can utilize the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service free of charge.

Duration of the Visa

The Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) remains valid until the specified date mentioned in the visa grant letter. This timeframe is intended to allow individuals sufficient time to undergo their medical treatment.

Extending Your Stay

If your medical treatment extends beyond the expiry date of your current visa or if you wish to stay in Australia for other purposes such as a holiday, sightseeing, or visiting friends or relatives, you must apply for and be granted a further visa before your current visa expires.

Benefits of the Visa

The Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) allows you to:

  • Stay in Australia for the purpose of receiving medical treatment.
  • Engage in study for a maximum period of three months. However, if you are under 18 years old and your circumstances change while in Australia, you may be permitted to study or train for more than three months if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.

Support for Visa Holders

If you already hold the Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685), individuals who wish to provide emotional and other support during your treatment can apply for a Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602). This can be done using Form 48ME Application to visit Australia for medical treatment.

If you are in Australia, you can send your application by post or fax to the Canberra office in Australian Capital Territory, attention Specialist Temporary Entry Centre. Payment can be made by credit card, debit card, bank cheque, or money order payable to the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are outside Australia, you can lodge your application at one of the immigration offices located outside the country.

Obligations as a Visa Holder

As a Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) holder, you and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws. Please note that working in Australia is generally not permitted, except in limited circumstances. Additionally, you can engage in study for a maximum period of three months, unless exceptions apply.

Departure Before Visa Expiry

It is expected that you leave Australia before your visa expires. However, if you require additional medical treatment, you may be eligible to apply for another visa while in Australia. Please be aware that Medical Treatment visas are typically granted for a short duration, and you are expected to return to your home country.

Reporting Changes in Circumstances

It is important to notify the Department of Home Affairs if there are any changes in your circumstances. This includes changes in residential address, passport details, as well as significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

To report changes, you can use ImmiAccount. If you are unable to access ImmiAccount, you can utilize the following forms:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details - for updating your address or passport information.
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances - for reporting other changes in your circumstances.

Failure to provide details of any new passport issued to you may result in significant delays at the airport and potential denial of permission to board your plane.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)