Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422)

If you are interested in working as a medical practitioner in Australia, the Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422) may be the right visa for you. This visa allows you to work in Australia for up to four years and bring your family with you. In this article, we will provide you with all the necessary information about this visa, including its benefits, obligations, and requirements.

Visa holders

As a visa holder of the Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422), you and your family members who have also been granted the visa will have several privileges. Firstly, you will be able to work in Australia for up to four years, providing you with ample opportunities to gain valuable experience in the medical field. Additionally, your family members will have the freedom to work and study in Australia, further enhancing their educational and professional prospects. Furthermore, you will have the flexibility to travel in and out of Australia as many times as you wish, as long as your visa remains valid.

Your obligations

It is important to note that you and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws while residing in Australia. By adhering to these obligations, you can ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience during your stay.

Work in Australia

When working in Australia on a Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422), there are certain conditions that you must follow. Firstly, you must maintain employment with the employer who sponsored you for the visa. It is crucial not to terminate your employment without securing another appropriate visa or leaving Australia before your visa expires. Additionally, you must not engage in any work that is inconsistent with the occupation for which your visa was granted.

In the event that your employment ends, you have a few options. You can either find another employer who is willing to sponsor you for another suitable visa (excluding the Medical Practitioner visa), apply for a different type of visa, or depart Australia before your current visa expires.

Private health insurance

While in Australia, you and your family are responsible for all your health costs. It is mandatory for you to have adequate private medical and hospital health insurance for the duration of your stay, unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia and you are enrolled with Medicare. You have the option to choose an insurance company from within or outside Australia to fulfill this requirement.

Taxation requirements

If you work in Australia under the Medical Practitioner visa (subclass 422), you must comply with Australia's taxation laws. The Australian Taxation Office's website provides detailed information on the taxation requirements that you need to fulfill.

Report changes in circumstances

It is important to inform the relevant authorities if there are any changes in your circumstances. This includes changes in your residential address, passport details, or significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death within your family. You can report these changes easily through ImmiAccount, or alternatively, you can use the designated forms, such as Form 929 for change of address and/or passport details, or Form 1022 for other changes in circumstances. Failure to provide updated details, especially regarding passport changes, can lead to significant delays and potential denial of permission to board your flight.

Adding a dependent

If you need to add a dependent to your Medical Practitioner visa, you will need to contact the responsible processing center. The processing centers in Melbourne CBD, Perth, and Sydney CBD are responsible for specific states, so make sure to reach out to the appropriate center based on your location.


If you are sponsoring a medical practitioner under this visa, your sponsorship will last for the duration of their visa. It is essential to fulfill your responsibilities as a sponsor to ensure a successful and seamless visa process for the medical practitioner.

Contact information

If you need to update sponsorship information or have any inquiries, you can contact the responsible processing center. The processing centers in Melbourne CBD, Perth, and Sydney CBD are responsible for specific states, so reach out to the center that corresponds to your location.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)