Tourist visa (subclass 676)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Overview of the Tourist visa (subclass 676)

The Tourist visa (subclass 676) is a visa category that is no longer open for new applications. However, individuals who are interested in visiting Australia for tourism purposes may be eligible to apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) instead.

This visa allows for either a single entry or multiple entries into Australia, and the duration of stay is determined by the Department of Home Affairs.

Visa holders

If you have already been granted a Tourist visa (subclass 676), it is important to understand your rights and obligations as a visa holder.

To check your visa details and entitlements, you can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free.

Duration of the visa

When your Tourist visa (subclass 676) was granted, the Department of Home Affairs would have specified the length of time you are allowed to stay in Australia.

Additionally, you would have been informed about the number of entries you are permitted on this visa:

  • If you were only allowed a single entry, you will need to apply for a new visa if you wish to return to Australia after leaving.
  • If you are permitted multiple entries, you can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want within the validity of your visa. However, the total time spent in Australia cannot exceed the period of stay granted.

Obligations of visa holders

As a holder of the Tourist visa (subclass 676), it is your responsibility to comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Visa conditions

The following are the visa conditions that you must adhere to:

  • Unless your visa specifically allows you to work, it is prohibited to engage in any form of employment while in Australia. However, limited volunteer work may be permitted as long as it does not displace paid Australian residents (reimbursement for expenses such as meals and accommodation is acceptable).
  • Studying for a period exceeding three months is not permitted under this visa category.

Additionally, it may be necessary for you to maintain adequate health insurance coverage during your stay in Australia.

Extending your stay

If you are currently in Australia and wish to extend your stay for tourism purposes, you may be eligible to apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). It is advisable to submit your application at least two weeks before your current visa expires. However, if your Tourist visa (subclass 676) has a 'No further stay condition', you will not be able to apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

A Visitor visa (subclass 600) can be granted if you have substantially complied with the conditions of your previous visa, meet all the eligibility criteria, and do not have a Condition 8503 ('No further stay') on your visa.

If you currently hold a Visitor visa or a Working Holiday visa, your stay in Australia can only be extended up to a total duration of 12 months, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If your current visa allows for a 12-month stay, it is recommended to contact your nearest Australian visa office before applying for another visa.

If you are granted another visa, it will automatically cancel any existing visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) you hold, along with the associated entitlements.

If a decision has not been made on your visa application before the expiry of your original visa, you will be allowed to remain in Australia until a final decision is reached.

In the event that your application for another visa is refused, you must depart Australia before the expiration of your authorized stay period.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)