Medical Treatment (Short Stay) visa (subclass 675)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Visa Overview

The Medical Treatment (Short Stay) visa (subclass 675) is a visa that was closed to new applications on 23 March 2013. However, if you are seeking medical treatment or consultations in Australia, you may be eligible for the Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602).

If you have already been granted the Medical Treatment (Short Stay) visa (subclass 675), it will remain valid until the expiry date specified when your visa was granted.

Visa Holders

If you are currently a holder of the Medical Treatment Short Stay visa (subclass 675), it is important to understand your rights and obligations.

To check your visa details and entitlements, you can utilize the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service for free.

Extending Your Stay

If your medical treatment is ongoing after your visa expires, or if you wish to stay in Australia for other purposes such as a holiday, sightseeing, or visiting friends or relatives, you can apply for a further visa.

It is essential to apply for and obtain your next visa before your current visa expires.

What This Visa Allows

The Medical Treatment (Short Stay) visa (subclass 675) allows you to:

  • Stay in Australia for medical treatment
  • Stay in Australia for medical treatment on multiple visits, with each visit limited to a maximum of three months
  • Study in Australia for up to three months

If you are under 18 years old and have written permission from the Minister, you may be able to study for more than three months due to compelling and compassionate reasons resulting from a change of circumstances while in Australia.

Supporting Individuals

If you currently hold the Medical Treatment (Short Stay) visa (subclass 675), certain individuals may be eligible to join you in Australia by applying for a Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602). This includes individuals who provide emotional and other support during your treatment.

Applications for the Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602) can be submitted through the Canberra office in the Australian Capital Territory if you are in Australia, or at one of the immigration offices outside Australia if you are outside the country.


As a visa holder, it is crucial to comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws. In general, you are not permitted to work in Australia unless under limited circumstances. However, you are allowed to study for up to three months.

Leaving Before Visa Expiry

It is expected that you leave Australia before your visa expires. If you require further medical treatment and have a medical treatment plan, you can apply for another visa while in Australia. It is important to note that Medical Treatment visas are typically granted for a short period, and you are expected to return to your home country.

Reporting Changes in Circumstances

If there are any changes in your circumstances, it is mandatory to inform the Department of Home Affairs. This includes changes in residential address, passport details, or significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

You can report changes in your circumstances through ImmiAccount. Alternatively, if you are unable to access ImmiAccount, you can use Form 929 for change of address and/or passport details, or Form 1022 for other changes in your circumstances.

Failure to provide updated passport details may result in significant delays at the airport and potential denial of permission to board your flight.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)